Sunday, May 09, 2010

That'll Teach Ya, Mom

Every Cat has his or her routine and it's up to the humans to respect it. After all, they're the ones with the hands. My routine starts no later than 5:15 AM. I go tell Mom and Dad I want to go out and it's their job to get out of bed and let Me out. Dad does it when he's home, but if he's on the road, it's up to Mom to do it.

At 5:15 this morning I walked into the bedroom and announced to Mom that it was time. She got up dutifully and went to the back door, but I was hungry. I wanted to eat first. I wanted some treats first. I wanted some rubs and scritches first. Then I wanted to go outside. Even a Cat with a routine is allowed to vary it as he pleases, right? Of course right. She gave me the food, but was rather rude about the treats, rubs and scritches. She said it was 5:15 in the morning (So?), and a Sunday morning at that (Double so?), and she was going back to bed! And she did.

We weren't done yet and I told her about it.
She was stubborn.
I complained.
She told Me to Be Quite.
I got louder.
She pulled the covers over her head.
I put it into high gear. After all, I'm not called Demando for nothing.
She threw a pillow at Me.

At that point I left the room and went off to sulk about it, as loudly as I could. That's when I noticed this...

It's the window Mom forgot to close last night. Even better, for some reason the screen was up too, leaving the window completely open and clear. Guess what. I jumped out.

Around 7 AM I could hear Mom getting up. I heard her make her way into the kitchen and turn on the coffee pot. I knew she was puzzled that I didn't present myself immediately. I heard her call my name. Silence. She called again. She started going from room to room calling "Rascal!" Of course I didn't answer and of course she couldn't find Me.

I could almost hear the wheels in her head turning. I could also hear worry in her voice. She probably thought I'd finally succumbed to my Feline Lymphoma and had curled up somewhere to leave my body behind while I crossed the Rainbow Bridge. She was thinking that the 5:15 scenario had been my way of saying good-bye. I knew this would make her feel guilty.

I heard her go into the bedroom to get dressed. I knew she was trying not to panic and would go let the chickens out while she collected herself. I timed it perfectly. As she came out the back door, I nonchalantly walked past the back porch and meowed, "Good Morning." You should have seen the look on her face!

Of course Mom's not dumb and she quickly found the open window and figured it out. If she's mad, she should suck it up and take it like a Cat. To make it up to her I'll spend the rest of the day testing out the new area rug she got for under the dining room table.

It's pretty comfy, actually. Happy Mother's Day.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At Sunday, May 09, 2010 9:25:00 AM, Blogger meowmeowmans said...

Tee hee! You sure showed her, Rascal! Happy Mother's Day to your mommy. :)

 
At Sunday, May 09, 2010 9:30:00 AM, Blogger Hannah and Lucy said...

You certainly had your Mom wondering where you were - she must have been very worried about you until you strolled up!! Happy Mothers Day to your Mom.

 
At Sunday, May 09, 2010 12:27:00 PM, Blogger Katnip Lounge said...

Rascal!
You certainly lived up to (both) your names this morning. Our Mommy would've probably had a heart attack.
Be a good boy and do a Looooong test today on that rug.
Happy Mother's Day from all 12 uf us!

 
At Sunday, May 09, 2010 1:07:00 PM, Blogger Gemini and Ichiro said...

I think it's important that on Mother's Day you made her appreciate you. After all--that's what Mom's are for.

And I'm glad you are safe and sound and resting...

 
At Sunday, May 09, 2010 4:06:00 PM, Blogger Renee Nefe said...

I'm glad your mom figured it all out, wouldn't want her to worry too much.

Happy Mother's Day to your mom.

 
At Sunday, May 09, 2010 7:46:00 PM, Blogger The Island Cats said...

Well, Rascal...that was quite the Mother's Day gift to give your mom...

 
At Sunday, May 09, 2010 9:16:00 PM, Blogger Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Oh man, yoo gave yoor mom quite da mothers day gift...a near heart attak! Happy Mother's Day to her.

 
At Monday, May 10, 2010 1:02:00 PM, Blogger Dorothy said...

Rascal you are such a smart cat!! I like your new rug, looks comfy and warm.

Thanks for the purrs you sent my poor old cat, I'm sure it helped, and thank your Mum for her prayers.

 
At Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:49:00 PM, Anonymous Ken and Mary of Fancy Fibers Farm said...

She should've paid attention to you Rascal! I'm sorry that you scared her though. I know how she must've felt. But, do enjoy as much catnapping on that rug as you like. Ken and Mary of Fancy Fibers Farm

 
At Wednesday, May 12, 2010 9:52:00 AM, Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

mol! good trick Rascal!!!

 
At Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:14:00 AM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

Oh, Rascal, you shouldn't scare your mom like that! I'm glad you were safe and sound on the porch. T.

 
At Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:57:00 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Well done, Uncle Rascal! Youz the Man-Cat!

Mews,
L'il Rascal and brudder, Mooch in
Airy Zona

 

Post a Comment

<< Home