Wednesday, December 06, 2006

What I Want for Christmas

Luna asked Me what I wish for Christmas. I have thought a long time about this, because no one has ever asked Me that before.

If I'm being perfectly honest, then I'd have to say that what I really want for Christmas is to be able to go outside again. Until we moved here, we've always lived in rural areas and had a large yard with woods in back, a garden, trees, rabbits, and outdoors fun.

I had a lot of important responsibilities then. I guarded the garden from other Cats, I always helped Mom feed the bunnies, I helped hoe and mulch the garden, rake the autumn leaves, and I was an excellent hunter, helping to keep the snake, mole and mouse population under control.

Our first move was from North Carolina to Florida. I didn't like the long ride nor having to be kept indoors for a month (at the V-E-T's suggestion), but I loved having a barn and pastures. In fact, these are pictures of me on our farm in Florida....

Me enjoying the view from our front porch.I loved being on the screened porch with Mom and Dad. It was a perfect place to bird watch. We had tons of birds and the humans would open the door for Me anytime I asked.

Rascal, the Tree Hugger.I miss trees. The trees in Florida were straighter than the ones in North Carolina, but they were still wonderful for sharpening claws. I loved tearing around the yard, racing up the trees for about 4 feet, and then bouncing off.

Me, on duty.I loved making my rounds several times a day. Here I am on post inspection duty, checking fence posts for new and strange smells.

Black on black.  Looks good, huh?And here's Me supervising the making of a new compost heap. I am inspecting the black plastic which covered the pile. As you can see, no V-E-T would ever accuse Me of being "overweight" back then!

My House Panther picture was taken in Florida too.

But since we moved here I've had to stay inside. We're not in the country anymore and Mom says it isn't safe for Me to go outside here. Mom and Dad have worried about Me since we moved here because they say my personality changed somewhat since then; they say I've been a lot grumpier than I used to be. I admit I'm bored and eat and sleep more than ever before. This is one of the reasons Catzee came into our lives.......... for Me. True I should probably appreciate her more, but good grief she can be a pest. Even so, I wouldn't trade her away for anything in the world.

Ordinarily I'm purrfectly content with the boxes and ribbons and Catnip mice for Christmas. But, since Luna asked, I thought I tell you what was on my mind.

Labels:

21 Comments:

At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 10:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the advice you left on another kitties comments about how to add links in the beta blogger. we havent done any before now because it was kinda hard but you really simplified it. more links to come soon for us.
thanks again
the zoo

 
At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 10:31:00 AM, Blogger Myst and Blackie said...

Hi, Rascal... I know how you feel.. I'd like to go outside too but I won't now cause of that woofie who lives here.

Ghost

 
At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 11:32:00 AM, Blogger Renee Nefe said...

Awww poor kitty. And now you get teased for your expanded mid-section.
Maybe Santa could bring you one of those outdoor play areas for cats since it isn't safe for you to be outside alone.

I was thinking that Lilly might like to post her Christmas letter to Santa. But she's being awefully quiet about what she wants for Christmas this year.

 
At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 11:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Rascal. I am furry sorry that you miss your trees. I neffer have been an outside kitty, but you made it sound so much fun!

I hope you have a furry good Christmas.

 
At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 12:12:00 PM, Blogger Katnippia said...

Rascal, we knows how you are feelings. But, it was the move from North Carolina to Florida. It is warmer here but we miss some fings. We use to watch all kind of birdies that meowmize feed, and some very chubby squirlley guys too.Oh, and I use to walk atleast two laps around our house on my harness to check eferyfings out and climb up two dogwood trees just to make sure it was safe. Our woofies miss it up there as well. - Sia

 
At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 2:09:00 PM, Blogger ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Rascal

I am sorry that you can't go outside like yu use to when you lived in Florida. I am sure yur Momma is watchin out fur what is best fur yu. I wonder if she can come up wif somefink that will let yu outside? Would yu mind a lease and collar?

Abby

 
At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 2:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really? Out of Doors?? You're a brave kitty! I don't like it out there, its scary. I'm sorry you don't live in the country anymore but your mom & dad are right to keep you inside. At least you have Catzee to play with!

Latte

 
At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 3:36:00 PM, Blogger Hot(M)BC said...

Yeah, I'd miss Outside a Whole Lot if I couldn't go out.
Purrrrrrrrrs,
Gree

 
At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 3:43:00 PM, Blogger Emma's Kat said...

Emma and Benji feel the same as Latte. They are scared of outdoors. But Marley knows how you feel. We too live in the city and there are too many dangers out there. Marley does get to go out every morning for a short bit on his tether (under close supervision of course) and he is thankful for that. But he would love to be able to go out exploring. Tell momma to get you a harness and leash too! How's Catzee doing with hers?

 
At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 5:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Rascal you must be very sad that you cannot go outside anymore, but your Mom is just worried about your safety. Bubbles also likes to go outside and I'm very worried that when I move he will have to stay inside and I'm sure he will get very depressed. But we beans just want to keep you guys safe.

 
At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 7:26:00 PM, Blogger Gemini said...

Georgia says it furry hard to become an indoor kitty when you liked being outside. She had to for awhile but she is so much happier now.

 
At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 9:14:00 PM, Blogger Ivan from WMD said...

I was abandoned outside so I don't have any wish to go out. But it looked like you had a lot of fun in Florida. My bro and mom lived in NC for a little while, but I'm strictly a desert boy.

 
At Thursday, December 07, 2006 12:27:00 AM, Blogger Big Piney Woods Cats said...

Mistrie could never adapt to living inside. We three do pretty good, especially Mittens. She has never wanted to go out. I go out with my harness in the summer. Squirt seems happy to antagonize me all the time.

Patches

 
At Thursday, December 07, 2006 1:02:00 AM, Blogger Tina T-P said...

Oh Rascal, Neelix & Sinda say they are verrrry sorry that you can't go outside - they would HATE it if they had to stay inside all the time like they did last week when it was all snowy here - it definately made them very grumpy.

Maybe your mom could get you a halter and a leash & you could go for short walks that way?

Good luck :-)

 
At Thursday, December 07, 2006 1:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely gets the walking jacket and leash. I would go crazy if I couldn't get out for at least a couple hours a day. We live on a quiet street but momma still worries furry much about me so I can only go outside on my leash. Sometimes ya gotta kompromize.
Zippy
PeeEss-thanks fur visitin us at our bloggy, we's furry happy to belong to such a caring community

 
At Thursday, December 07, 2006 3:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's hard. I was only ever allowed out unsupervised for a couple weeks. I loved it, but I'm used to only being allowed out with my OTW. Lucky for her, I mostly listen to her when she calls and I don't wander far from her. Especially here, surrounded by the vishus deer!

 
At Thursday, December 07, 2006 7:17:00 PM, Blogger Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

Poor Rascal, we wudn't like it if'n we had to stay indoors. We go out lots of the time, an mum yoo-shully comes furr a walk wiv us. Sumtimes we go on our own, but we no we's not alloud to go to far then.If the wether is bad, we haf got an outside run so we can still sit in the grass an watch the fev-vers, an in summer it means we can sleep beeneef the stars an be safe. Maybe yoo cud haf sumfing like that.

 
At Friday, December 08, 2006 2:00:00 AM, Blogger Renee Nefe said...

Loved your comment about the Lilly pictures. It never occured to me that she was hogging the camera. LOL. figures!

 
At Friday, December 08, 2006 5:31:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh ... I've been trying to get outside since I was but a wee one. At least you actually had that for a time!

It's like that saying, "Is it better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?" (Or something like that.)

 
At Saturday, December 09, 2006 3:23:00 AM, Blogger Rosie & Cheeto said...

Things culd be werse, yoo culd be owtside withowt a family who luvs yoo. All in all, yer safe and sownd and that's super importunt.

 
At Monday, December 11, 2006 12:25:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's hard. I used to live on a farm "up north" and came and went as I pleased. Here, we've got a screened porch and a cat tree to climb on and palmetto bugs to catch, but it's just not the same. Even if it's for our own "good" and because they "love" us.-- Blackie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home