Thursday, July 20, 2006

Sitting Up is Not a Dog Trick




















Mom says sitting up is a dog trick. It is not and now I have proof! Check out Bear on Kat’s Cat of the Day.

Now, here’s the real scoop about the sitting up.

Bear figured this out by using his Super-Feline powers of observation. Fortunately, I do not have a dog around to keep an eye on. In my case, Dad taught me. He thought I was smart enough to learn this trick and he used kitty treats to teach me. He would hold the treat over my head and say “sit.“ At first I would batt it out of his hand or try to stand up to get it like this:


















But he would only let me have the treat if I sat up properly. It took a couple of days to catch on because I wasn’t used to balancing that way. However, that’s what a nice long tail is good for.




















Sometimes if I feel lazy I just bob up and down a couple of times. They still get the message.

Sitting up is useful for two other things besides getting kitty treats.

First it is an excellent way to tell them what I want. If I want out, I sit up. If I want in, I sit up. If I want to have someone play with me, I sit up. The humans think I’m so cute that they always do what I want.

It is also useful any time I want to see what someone is cooking or eating. Mom always lets me see what she’s got if I sit up. Sometimes she tells me Cats don’t like it, but she still lets me sniff it. If I'm not interested I just walk away. But sometimes, just to prove she’s wrong I eat it anyway. I have eaten black beans, canned corn, canned green beans, canned mushrooms, a raw French fry and a cheerio. I have only licked a grapefruit seed and a black olive because even I have limits, but you get the point.

When I’m done eating treats, I wash up:













and go do something else.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At Thursday, July 20, 2006 9:01:00 AM, Blogger Carolina Cats said...

Rascal you are one verry smart cat! Anyfing that makes human beans do what you want is a CAT tool of domination, not a stoopid drooly drooler trick. Tricks are done by droolers who don't kno wat they are doing or wy they are doing it.

CATS RULE

Finny & Buddy

 
At Thursday, July 20, 2006 11:30:00 AM, Blogger Madness, Trouble, Squish and Milkbone said...

Rascal, you are definately very smart to get the beans to do all those things for you. We are going to try it.
- Bubbles & Mrs B

 
At Thursday, July 20, 2006 11:42:00 AM, Blogger PrincessMia said...

Haha! You have your beans well trained. Good job!

 
At Thursday, July 20, 2006 4:09:00 PM, Blogger a fluffy feline friend said...

You are a very smart poodin, Rascal. And handsome too. Us BKs ('Black Kitties') are all pretty good lookin'. Check out this very handsome and well dressed BK.

Canberra BK.

 
At Thursday, July 20, 2006 6:32:00 PM, Blogger Just Ducky said...

Rascal, mum does that to me all the time. I hafta stand on my back legs to get the treat. But mum can feed me the treat and use the flashy box at the same time. So no pictures.

 
At Thursday, July 20, 2006 10:13:00 PM, Blogger Emma's Kat said...

What a cute and smart boy you are! Emma knows how to sit for a treat too! But she sits on her boot, not up beggin' style like you do. I've been trying to teach her to sit pretty, which is the same way you are sittin', 'cept you're not sitting pretty, your sitting handsome. Oh! You get the idea! ;)

 
At Friday, July 21, 2006 12:52:00 PM, Blogger Big Piney Woods Cats said...

Is that your teethies I see in the one picher? Wow, you are like a black panther, Momma says.

Patches Lady

 
At Sunday, July 23, 2006 3:10:00 PM, Blogger Victor Tabbycat said...

I've trained my woman similarly, but I only beg fur treats. That's her purrpose in my life, afterall. We proceeded the same way - furst I showed her I could sit nicely. Then I showed her I could sit up and beg or stand for the treat. Stoopid Victor still tries to swat it frum her hand, WIF CLAWS! so, unable to sit still, he spins instead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home